Preposition Examples And Use of All Preposition



Lots of Preposition Examples below here. Are you want to learn Preposition? Are you want to know the use of preposition? If yes, then this blog is the right place for you. There are lots of various preposition examples here. It helps to learn all about preposition.

Preposition Examples And Use of All Preposition


Preposition Examples



Prepositions are very important for a sentence.  So if you better in English grammar, then you should learn preposition must. Here we post lots of preposition examples. Today we discuss the use of all prepositions with preposition examples. Before the read this post you must read this article about the definition, kinds of preposition here.


 Use Of  'In' with Preposition Examples :


1. Indicating Place : 
  • I live in London.
  • There is a cloud in the Sky.
  • Girls are playing football in the street.
2. Position :
  • She is sitting in the Sun.
  • They went out in the rain.
3. Inclusion :
  • There are seven days in a week.
4. During: A period of time -
  • My son was born in 1974.
  • Nature wears flowery in Spring.
  • He came in winter.
5. After: a certain time -
  • He will be living for Mumbai in an hour.
6. Within: as certain time -
  • I finished my work in three hours.
  • I shall do it in March.
7. Circumstances / Surroundings :
  • The boy went out in the sun.
8. State / Condition of Somebody or Somethings :
  • He is in a bad Temper.
  • I am in straitened Circumstances.
9. Medium / Means / Materials :
  • Please speak in English. ( Medium)
  • The lines are printed in bold type. ( Materials)
10. Indicating Occupation / Activity :
  • He is in rice business.
  • He is in the Army.
  • He is in practice of Medicine.
11. Indicating Identity :
  • He found a true friend in her.

Use Of 'On' with Preposition Examples :


1. On the days of the week :
  • On a Monday.
  • He came here on Tuesday last.
2. Date :
  • On 28th November.
  • On 1 st January 2018.
3. Specific Days :
  • He came here on Monday last.
  • On Easter Saturday.
4. Immediately After :
  • On my arrival home.
  • On the death of his parents.
5. About :

  • Dr. Sen spoke on Shakespeare's sonnets.
  • He will speak on social- welfare.

6. Direction :
  • The thief drew a knife on the stranger.
  • The students marched on Writer's Building.
7. Near / Close to :
  • My house is on the main road.
  • He lives in a town on the border.
8. Reason for Something :
  • The story is not based on facts.
  • He acts on his father's advise.
  • He was arrested on a charge of theft.
9. Financially Supported / Food :
  • I live on pension my wife's salary.
  • The cow lives on Grass.
10. Using / By Means :
  • I play a song on my Guitar.
  • He spoke to me on the telephone.
11. Condition :
  • The man was appointed on these terms.
  • I am appointed on no condition.
12. Indicating Time :
  • We went for a picnic on a sunny day in January.
  • The School remains closed on 1 st January.
Note: In U.S English, 'On' is omitted in indicating the time.

13. Indicating Membership :
  • He is on the Committee.
Some More Preposition Examples :
  • I can stand on one foot.
  • He wore a golden ring on middle finger.
  • There is a coat on the hanger.
  • He got on a running bus/ train.
  • People travel on the Bus/ train.

Use of  ' At ' with Preposition Examples :


1. A point Of Time :
  • I reached the Station at 12 noon.
  • He went to school at 10 a.m.
2. Engagement in an Activity :
  • He is at work/play/writing Novel.
3.  position of a Person or thing :
  • MR. Faraday waited at the corner of the room.
4. Age :
  • He retired from headmastership at 60.
  • He got married at  25.
5. Direction ( towards) :
  • The Dog rushed at me.
  • He looks at the Girl.
  • He laughed at the man.
6. A Price / Rate / Speed :
  • Watch sells at 6 dollars.
  • I bought English Grammar at 5 dollars.
  • He drives at 60 k.m per hour.
7. Indicating Cause :
  • We wondered at the depth of his knowledge. 

Useful rules  ' About ' With Preposition Examples :


1. Here and there :
  • He walks about the town.
2. Showing Position :
  • The idle man is standing about street corners.
3. Showing State :
  • He has not any money about him.
4. On the subject :
  • This book is about wild animals.
5. At a time near to :
  • I shall set out about 6 p.m.
6. Regarding :
  • I know nothing about him.
  • I know nothing about his business.
  • I am glad about his success in Professor.
7. Occupied with :
  • What are you about.
8. Round :
  • He fields about Oxford are charming.

Useful Rules ' Above ' with Preposition Examples :

1. Higher than :
  • The sun rose above the Horizon.
2. More than :
  • He values honor above life.
3. Superior to :
  • He's above meanness.
4. Out of the reach of  :
  • Your conduct has ever been above suspicion.


Useful rules' After ' with Preposition Examples :

1. Pursuit :
  • They ran after the thief.
2. Concerning :
  • We enquired after him.
3. Resemblance :
  • The girl takes after her mother.
4. Later Than :
  • He reached home after sunset.
  • I will come back from the USA after a month.
5. In view of :
  • I shall never help him after what he has done.
  • After all my efforts I did not come out successful. 
6. In spite of :
  • After all my warnings he took to gambling.


Useful Rules' Against ' with Preposition Examples :

1. Indicating Opposition :
  • The rowed against the current.
2.Indicating Protest :
  • He wrote against the proposal.
  • They raised their voice against the proposal.
3. Indicating Collisions :
  • The truck dashed against the bus.
4. In anticipation of :
  • We should save money against the rainy day.
5. Indicating support :
  • Place the ladder against the tree.
  • He leaned against the wall.

Useful rules ' Before' with Preposition Examples :

1. Earlier than : 
  • My aunt came here the day before yesterday.
2. In front of :
  • There's tree before my house.
3. In front of ( with reference to order/arrangement)  :
  • Her names come before Jhon's on the list.
4. In the presence of :
  • The criminal was brought before the judge.
5. In preference to :
  • He wishes for death before dishonor.

Useful rules ' Behind' with Preposition Examples :

1. At the back of :
  • There is a garden behind our house.
2. No having so much progress :
  • He is behind other boys in swimming.
3.Indicating Concealment :
  • There was a smile behind his frown.
4. Indicating lateness in time :
  • The train is behind its time.
5. Remaining after, when one has left a place :
  • The storm left a trail of destruction behind it.


Useful rules 'By' with Preposition Examples :

1. Near, at the side of :
  • Our school is by the river.
  • She sat by me/by my side.
2. Through/along/across :
  • We came by the roads.
3. Past :
  • He goes by the college hostel every day on his way to school.
4. During :
  • He fled by night.
5. Not later than :
  • I will finish the work by tomorrow.
6. Through the agency/means/ instrumentally :
  • He makes a living by teaching.
  • He was killed by a tiger.
7. Indicating part of the body touch :
  • Seize him by the neck.
8. According to :
  • It's 6 O'clock by my watch.
9. To the extent of :
  • He is senior to me by five years.
10. Indicating means of Travel, Conveyance etc :
  • I go to school by bus.
  • He sent later by post.
11. In the name of :
  • He swore by heaven.
12. Because of/as a result of :
  • I met Ammy by Chance.
  • One can achieve what one wants by determination.
13. With regard to :
  • He is American by birth.
  • He is a doctor by profession.

Useful rules ' Towards' with Preposition Examples :

1. In the direction of :
  • You walked towards the bridge.
2. In relation to :
  • He feelings towards us are not friendly.
3. As regards :
  • I don't know what is the attitude towards the proposal is.
4. For the purpose of :
  • You must be saved money towards your daughter's marriage.
5. Indicating nearness of time :
  • I shall come towards the evening.

1.  Indicating Destination, Progress :
  • He set out for home.
  • I shall catch the train for Howrah.
2. Indicating what is aimed at :
  • He was educated for the law.
3. Indicating Possession :
  • Here is a letter for you.
4. Indicating Preparation :
  • He prepares for the Madhyamik Examination.
5. Indicating Affection :
  • She has no love for her Children.
6. Indicating Linking :
  • She has a weakness for silk cloths.
  • He has a taste for Art.
7. Indicating extent in time :
  • He has been here for a week.
  • I have not seen him for many days.
  • He will be cripple for life.
8. Instead of, in place of :
  • Will you please act for me in the matter?
  • Substitute a noun for a verb.
9. Indicating suitability,  fitness :
  • He is the very man for the Job.
  • This is good for health.
10. In defense or support of :
  • Are you for the proposal?
  • He spoke for the bill.
11. With regard to, concerning :
  • I am anxious for his safety.
12. Because of, On account Of :

  • Kashmir is famous for its scenery.
  • I could not go to school for my illness.
13. In spite of :
  • For all his wealth he is unhappy.
14. In exchange Of :
  • I paid  3 dollars for the book.
15. Indicating extent in space :
  • We walked for five miles.
  • The road is lined with tress for two miles.


Useful Rules 'From' with Preposition Examples.

1. Indicating the Place whence motion takes place :
  • He has gone from home.
  • I go from Milton to Cambridge daily.
2. Indicating the starting of a period of time :
  • I know here from Childhood.
  • He will begin to coach me from 2nd July.
3. Showing the giver, sender etc :
  • I have received a letter from my Father.
4. Indicating the source from which something is taken :
  • She drew water from a well.
  • He is descended from a royal family.
5. Showing the model :
  • This picture is painted from life.
6. Indicating separation, removal, deprivation etc :
  • I took a dagger away from him.
7. Showing Cause :
  • He has been suffering from dysentery.
8. Showing Motive :
  • He dis this from spite.
9. Showing distinction /defferance :
  • His opinion differs from mine.


Useful Rules ' With '  with Preposition Examples :

1. Indicating means / Instrument :
  • He wrote with a pencil
  • Fill the pen with ink.
  • She took it with both hands.
2. Indicating accompaniment/relationship:
  • She went for a walk with her uncle.
  • I shall be with you in a few minutes.
3. Indicating Opposition / antagonism :
  • Porus fought with Alexander.
4. Indicating manner :
  • I shall do it with pleasure.
  • They fought with Courage.
5. Indicating cause :
  • He was trembling with fear.
6. Indicating profession :
  • I have no money with me.
7. In the care of :
  • I left the bicycle with my friend.
8. Indicating separation :
  • I parted with my friend yesterday.
9. Indicating agreement :
  • I agree with you.
  • I do not agree with you.
10. In spite of :
  • With all his wealth he is unhappy.
11. Indicating point of reference :
  • He is not popular with his pupil's.


Useful rules 'Within' with Preposition Examples :

1. Inside the range or limits of something :
  • I found him within the house.
2. In a time no longer than/before the expiration of specific time :
  • You must be back within an hour.
3. Not beyond :
  • He does not live within his income. 

Useful rules ' To' with Preposition Examples :

1. In the direction of,  towards :
  • He went to Cambridge.
  • He fell to the ground.
  • He fell into distress.
2. Before :
  • It is twelve to eleven.
3. Until :
  • He works from morning to evening.
4. Purpose, the result ( Adverbial Functions)  :
  • They came to see me.
  • He lived to be ninety.
5. Indicating Proportion :
  • We won by two goals to nil.
6. Indicating limit :
  • We will fight to the last man.
7. With an adjectival function :
  • Jimmy was the first to arrive ( who arrive first) there.
8. Effect :
  • To my utter surprise,  he failed.
9. Introducing the indirect object :
  • He gave a mango to the beggar. 

Note: If You love this Post, Please share with your Facebook, WhatsApp friends.

Join Our Facebook Page to get Update 

No comments